This stuffed bell pepper recipe leverages two cups of the Turkey Chili prepared on a previous day; prepare once and then recreate something equally delicious the next day. We take the Turkey Chili and add some additional ingredients and voila another nourishing meal with little effort.
The Chili Filled Green Pepper recipe and the Turkey Chili recipe were provided by a close friend. She makes the peppers dairy free by using vegan cheese. Thank you K!
3 bell peppers, one of each green, red and yellow
1 cup turkey chili
1/4 cup white mushrooms, chopped
1 cup fresh spinach, chopped
3/4 cup cooked brown rice
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1/2 cup chicken stock
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Slice the peppers in half from stem to bottom. Clean out seeds and membrane.
- Mix Turkey Chili, mushrooms, spinach, rice, paprika and tomato paste until thoroughly combined.
- Place the bell pepper halves in a glass baking dish and spoon the chili mixture into each bell pepper half.
- Pour the chicken broth into the baking dish. This helps steam the peppers and prevents them from burning on the bottom.
- Sprinkle with mozzarella or vegan cheese.
- Cover lightly with aluminum foil and bake for 25 minutes.