This is part two of my “quick-start” recipe series featuring shrimp. While preparing the Lo Mein, I cooked the shrimp that will be used in this recipe. Deveining shrimp is a messy endeavor so it was nice to have that part behind me so I could quickly prepare this sumptuous Shrimp Soup.
This recipe is gluten-free and could easily be dairy-free by substituting coconut milk for the heavy cream.
1/3 pound raw of shrimp, shelled, deveined and cut into 1/4 inch pieces.
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup yellow onion, diced
1 carrot, peeled and diced
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 dozen cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
2 cups seafood stock
1/4 cup heavy cream
Sprinkle of cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon fresh tarragon
- Add the butter to a saucepan large enough to hold all ingredients. Add the shrimp shells and cook on medium heat until they are bright pink. Remove the shells.
- Add the onion, carrot and garlic. Saute until soft.
- Add the tomatoes and the stock and cook about 5 minutes longer.
- Add the shrimp pieces and saute until pink.
- Remove from heat. Using an emulsion blender, puree the soup until almost smooth. Return the puree to medium heat and add the cream. Add the chopped tarragon. Cook for another two minutes.
- Garnish with cayenne pepper and additional tarragon.
- Salt and pepper to taste.