I’m always looking for ways to decrease calories without sacrificing taste. My family loves sausage and peppers but with 300 calories (give or take) in one sweet italian sausage link, I must find a way to substitute a lower calorie option. In this case, I opted for eggplant and my mom loved it.
With the thought of “quick starting” other recipes, this recipe morphed into a series of three. Each package of sweet italian sausage comes with four sausage links. I cooked all four but reserved some of the sausage for breakfast the next day. The eggplant was used in this recipe as well as in my eggplant parmesan recipe.
To speed up the preparation time, you could also use store bought marinara or pasta sauce in a jar. We always have a container of homemade sauce in the freezer. Or, you could purchase canned tomatoes already seasoned with garlic and herbs.
This recipe serves four and takes about an hour to prepare.
3 sweet Italian sausage links
1 green bell pepper, sliced
1 red bell pepper, sliced
1/2 yellow onion, sliced
1/2 cup eggplant, cubed
2 small cans tomato sauce
1 can diced tomatoes
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 teaspoon italian seasoning
1/2 cup cooked brown rice per serving
- Place the tomatoes, tomato sauce and seasonings in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 30 minutes. Stir frequently. Or use sauce from a jar.
- Remove the casing from the sausages, shape into balls, 3/4″ in diameter. Fry in a saute pan until browned and cooked through. Remove from pan and reserve.
- Add the vegetables to the saute pan and cook until tender.
- Add the sausage back to the saute pan and cover with the tomato sauce.
- Let simmer for fifteen minutes and serve over rice.