This Mediterranean Cod contains lean proteins and an abundance of herbs and fresh vegetables; it is healthy and delicious. Any meaty, white fish will do, but cod is my favorite. Cod has a mild flavor that does not compete for attention with the vegetables and herbs. It is also a one pan meal that can be ready in 30 minutes.
I suggest using Captain’s Cut cod, which is the thickest, select part of the fillet. It is more expensive, but when roasted in the oven with the vegetables, it does not fall apart before the veggies are done.
The first time I made this was 20 years ago. I hosted an impromptu dinner for some new neighbors with sophisticated tastes. They often dined in fine restaurants in New York City. I knew I had a keeper when they asked for my recipe.
When you purchase the cod, buy some extra and use it to “quick start” make my Shrimp and Cod Chowder recipe; I can never get enough seafood.
This recipe serves two as described.
.75 pounds of fresh, Captain’s Cut cod
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
1/2 green bell pepper, diced
1/2 teaspoon marjoram
1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
1 tablespoon freshly grated parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees F.
- Coat a baking sheet with the olive oil.
- Add the cod filet, salt and pepper.
- Surround the cod with the garlic, tomatoes and peppers.
- Sprinkle the top with marjoram and freshly grated parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the cod is flaky.
- To serve, use a fork to pull the cod apart into small pieces. Spoon the tomate, pepper mixture onto the top.
- Garnish with the fresh basil.