Mushrooms are the ideal “prepare once – use twice” ingredient. They can be added to steak and peppers, pizza and spaghetti sauce. This Cream of Mushroom Soup is also a delicious gravy that can be served with roasted chicken, steak or pork.
Mushrooms are an edible fungus with health benefits. They contain protein, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. Antioxidants help your body eliminate free radicals that are toxins to our body.
I use beef stock in this recipe because I prefer the flavor. You could also use vegetable or chicken stock. Sherry tastes delicious with this. Unfortunately, I didn’t have any in my pantry.
You can puree the cooked mushrooms in a food processor or you can use an immersion blender. I use the blender for this recipe. Remember to leave some mushroom texture.
1/2 cup fresh shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 cup fresh button mushrooms, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups beef stock
1/3 cup half-and-half
1 tablespoon chives for garnish
Salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup onion, minced
- Add the olive oil to a saucepan on medium heat; add the onion and saute until softened.
- Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring until soft and then stir in the flour. Add the stock and simmer for about 15 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Using an immersion blender, puree the soup until small specks of mushroom remain.
- Place the pan back on medium heat and add the half-and-half stirring until the ingredients are blended and smooth.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with chives. Season to taste with salt and pepper.