The secret to the best chicken salad is using freshly roasted, tender chicken that has not been dried out or overcooked. Last night I roasted more chicken than I needed for dinner anticipating this lovely chicken salad for lunch today. This version of chicken salad includes white onions, blanched snow peas and celery.
I like my vegetables crunchy so I often blanch them. Blanching is when you scald a vegetable and then place it under cold water to stop the cooking process. This is a perfect method for cooking vegetables intended for salads.
This recipe serves two.
1 roasted chicken breast
1/2 cup snow peas sliced into 1/4 inch pieces
1 tablespoon diced white onion
1/4 cup diced celery
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/2 teaspoon dried dill
Salt and pepper to taste
Baby green leaf lettuce for garnish
- Dice the cooked chicken into 1/4 inch cubes.
- Bring water to boil in a saucepan, submerge the snow peas for one minute. Pour into a colander and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Mix the chicken and vegetables together. Stir in the mayonnaise and dill.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Place lettuce on a plate as a base and spoon on the chicken salad.