This is one of my “quick start” recipes where I prepare ingredients for one meal and then use the leftovers for a second. In this case, the cheeseburger comes first and then many of the same ingredients are used for my husband’s favorite pizza, you guessed it Cheeseburger Pizza.
You will cut up and cook the peppers and mushrooms. Reserving 1/3 cup of this combo for the pizza. Form beef patties, reserving 1/3 cup of ground beef to crumble and cook for the pizza.
This burger recipe serves two; one burger for me and two for my husband. We like our rolls soft not toasted but you could toast yours. And I love pickles on pretty much anything. They just add a punch of pungent flavor.
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
1 pound of ground beef (turkey works too)
1 green bell pepper, sliced thin
1 cup mushrooms, diced
Mayo, Ketchup or both
Cheese of your choice, I used Gruyere
Fresh, soft sandwich rolls
- Form the beef into three patties, reserving about 1/3 cup to crumble and brown for the pizza.
- Slice the green pepper into long, thin strips. Dice the mushrooms. Add to a saute pan with oil and cook until just tender. Remove from heat and place in a bowl. Reserve 1/3 to 1/2 cup of the vegetables for the pizza. Store these in a tight container for use the next day.
- Cook the burger patties on medium heat. Brown one side and then flip. Salt and pepper. Once liquid starts to seep through the top of the burger, add the cheese. Place a clear lid on top of the burger. Once the cheese melts, the burger is done and should be medium to medium well done.
- Remove the patties and place on a sliced bun to rest.
- Add the crumbled ground beef and cook until well done. Set aside in the refrigerator for the next day’s pizza.
- Assembled the burger and enjoy.