It’s easy to take a recipe filled with yummy but calorie rich ingredients and turn it into something more healthy. I love beef stroganoff with its rich, creamy gravy and tender beef with mushrooms. Take that and ladle it on top of egg noodles or rice, and you have a protein filled, high carbohydrate meal.
To lower the calories and increase the nutrients, I substitute some (not all) of the noodles with French green beans. You might ask what is a French green bean and how is it different than the regular garden variety? French green beans are typically 4″ – 6″ long and I find them more tender and sweet than other options. As prepared, this recipe contains about 450 calories per serving.
For the sauce, yogurt can be substituted for all or some of the sour cream. Nonfat Greek yogurt has half the calories and fat of sour cream. For this recipe, I used one tablespoon of sour cream and one tablespoon of nonfat Greek yogurt.
This was also super quick to make; from start to finish it took less than 30 minutes. For the beef, I used a package of thinly sliced sandwich beef; less than 1/2 pound and half a package of whole button mushrooms. I like to use the whole mushrooms and slice them myself because they seen fresher that way.
This recipe serves two, but next time I’ll make more. My husband really wanted to have a second helping.
4 ounces of beef sliced thin
1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced
1 cup beef broth
1 tablespoon nonfat Greek yogurt
1 tablespoon sour cream
4 ounces French green beans
1/2 cup homestyle egg noodles
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1 teaspoon Worcheshire Sauce
- Place the vegetable oil in a saute pan. Slice the beef into bite-size pieces and saute until brown on all sides.
- Slice the mushrooms into bite-size pieces and add to the beef. Stir in the beef broth and Worcestershire Sauce. Cook on low heat until the mushrooms are cooked through and tender.
- Add the sour cream and yogurt to the mushroom and beef mixture. Stir well to combine. Cover and let simmer until the beans and pasta are cooked.
- Boil water in a saucepan and add the egg noodles. Cook until tender. Remove from heat and drain.
- Place green beans in a saucepan. Just cover with water, bring to a boil and remove from heat. Let rest in the hot water for one minutes and then drain.
- Plate the stroganoff by layer a bit of pasta on the bottom of a shallow bow. Next comes the green beans and then ladle the beef, mushrooms and gravy over the top.
- Salt and pepper to taste.